In the pursuit of an Ideal Human State, developing exceptional character is a very powerful strategy. Principles like honesty, responsibility, and integrity take the game to a whole new playing field where Ego has less of an advantage. When you measure your behavior by the highest possible standards, it is much more difficult for Ego to use distraction and justification to change your mind about growing; it has to face you squarely. In that moment, consciously and intentionally confronting Ego, you become a warrior for your own freedom.
This blog series will present you with questions and challenges to trigger Ego at this level, giving you the opportunity to reduce its impact with further growth, and master your interactions with other people.
Games People Play
- Relationships are not as straightforward as we’d like them to be, so it’s important to notice whether you’re getting as much as you’re giving.
I Get It
- We all get so excited to contribute that many conversations become a lot more about talking than listening, but sometimes a response is not necessary, or even helpful. Sometimes it’s important just to listen.
Truth...In Shades of Gray
- Some people use dishonesty to their advantage. Adjusting to a "shades of gray" scale can help you stay out of their trap.
Ego and Beliefs
- Limiting beliefs have become a widely recognized cause of people being stuck in their own lives. How does the ego play into that?
- Sometimes the best, most enlightened answer is “I don’t know yet,” but that leaves an open question on the table. That kind of open ended uncertainty can be very uncomfortable for an ego.
Turning Trust Upside Down
- We all see honesty as a condition for trust, but maybe trusting consistency is more effective?
- Personal Mastery means developing exceptional character. It’s becoming the best person you can be and inspiring others by example.
Mastering The Present
- We are venturing beyond the usual standards set by society because we aspire to a life that can only be found by forging a brand new path.
What is Ego?
- When I say ego, I include a more contemporary context that acknowledges how our sense of separateness compromises the connection we can have with the Universe.
- By finding enough humility to stand completely in someone else's shoes, you can change your relationships forever.
Forgiveness and Permission
- We have been conditioned to believe “it’s easier to get forgiveness than permission.” When someone fails to keep their word, they have placed the burden on you, but forgiveness is your choice.
Love as an Active Verb
- Actions always speak louder than words, and there is no better place to apply that than our concept of love.
Growth as a Lifestyle
- Taking on growth as a lifestyle is as proactive as you can get. It’s like choosing the fast lane simply because you have somewhere to be.
Owning Your Choices
- Along the road to being completely authentic, the most powerful tool I have found is responsibility - owning every choice you make for better or worse.
Growing Up Is Good!
- Somehow we feel like growing up is boring or hard or somehow not cool. This strikes me as something a teenager would say, but not someone who has actually grown up.
Water Under the Bridge
- Following a disagreement, tempers cool off with time and people usually go back to the relationship as if nothing happened…or do they?
Where Are Your Exceptions?
- We speak of honesty, integrity and the ideals of great character in absolute terms, but few of us hold ourselves impeccably to those standards.
- “I’m sorry” is a common ingredient in working through misunderstandings…but how often do we stop there and excuse ourselves from the rest of the work?
Memories of an Amazing World
- In this world, everyone valued honesty and growth, and we were all free to create, express, and develop to our greatest potential.